Tuesday

The headlines have been particularly grim these past few weeks.  Thousands of people in Asia are trying to recover from a horrible devastation.  The loss of life is staggering.  It is reminiscent of 911, and the tsunami several years ago.  I can hardly get my mind around it.  And I wonder what I can do to help.  


Closer to home the race for president continues to be a boxing match with each hopeful pounding away at their competition.  Then, as I recently heard on the radio, "four imperious and unelected justices have just overridden the will of the voters in California" in regard to same sex marriage.  A little closer to home crime is on the rise and everyone seems to be doing what is right in their own eyes.  Lots of discouraging news.

Honestly, there are days when I vacillate between pulling the covers over my head or packing up all those who are dear to me and finding some little spot on the earth where there are no blaring headlines.  Even though those options are appealing that is not what I have been called to.  And truth be told these disturbing days are nothing new.  Go back a few thousand years and read about the Greek and Roman empire.

According to historians, both empires suffered from social, cultural and moral decay. Lawlessness and violence crippled their economy.  The rich got richer and in their quest for constant pleasure they did whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted to whomever they wanted.  The average citizen lost their voice as the powerful became even more powerful.

"British historian Catherine Edwards demonstrated that our current examples of immorality are not a modern phenomenon.  In her study she found that abortion and exposure were common ways to prevent childbirth in Rome.  Life became cheap in the latter days of the Roman Empire.  Burdensome regulation and taxes made manufacturing and trade unprofitable. Eventually, children were seen as a needless burden and abortion and infanticide became commonplace."

Sound familiar?  Doesn't that describe the world today?  Everyone deciding the rules for themselves.  Everyone trying desperately to soothe the never-ending ache within.  That was the world that Jesus was born in to...the world we live in today.

Jesus came with such unbelievable news.  "God, the Father, sent me to show you where real, soul satisfying life is found.  You don't have to search in vain any longer.  The days of profound loneliness and hopelessness are over.  I love you and I'll never stop.  During your darkest hour I'll be there.  My plan for you will fit you to a tee.  I will cleanse you, rescue you and give you rest.  You will experience beauty, love and peace like never before.  Just come to me." (my paraphrase)

So while living on an obscure island sounds good, I'm called to continue what Jesus began...sharing the truth of the Gospel.  And when I am discouraged with the way things are I remember that it's not over yet.  One day every knee will confess that Jesus is Lord.  In the meantime I need to be on my knees.


post signature

No comments: